Tank destroyer shoulder patch and logo

The 808th Tank Destroyer Battalion

invites you to enjoy this site while learning about WWII and tank destroyers

An assortment of US flags.
Don't Tread On Me
Colonial Era

US Army Flag - 1775
US Army Flag
Adopted in 1775

Betsy Ross flag
Betsy Ross Flag

13 Star Flag
13 Star -
First Official Flag

Civil Flag of Peacetime
Civil Flag of
Peacetime

34 Star - Civil War Era
34 Star
Civil War Era

Confederate Battle Flag
Confederate Battle Flag

50 Star Current US Flag
50 Star
Current US Flag

US is No Match for Enemy Tanks

By the time the US entered into the war it was obvious that the Germans were able to practically drive through whatever country they chose to with little effective defense. They went through Poland in 1939, and continued forward practically dissolving the resistance presented by Poland, then France, England, Yugoslavia and Greece.

The world looked on in sorrowful amazement and then in fear as Germany advanced without meaningful resistance.

The Panzer IVThe Panzer IV was the tank of choice for the German army. It came in at 23 tons, top speed of 25 - 36 mph on the road and 16mph on open land. It carried a 75mm cannon, 2 7.92 mm machine guns and a crew of 5.

In April of 1941, the US military decided to create provisional antitank companies in infantry regiments.

In operational readiness maneuvers in late 1941, first in Louisiana and then in the Carolinas, the antitank units proved their worth.

After quite a bit of debate, the name changed from Antitank Units, assigned and commanded by the Armored Forces to the Tank Destroyer Force, composed of battalions and only nominally connected with the older arms. A new provisional arm of the US military was born. Tank Destroyer. Tank destroyer battalions were now trained in both offensive and defensive tactics.

Implementing the Plan for Tank Destroyers

February 14, 1942. Just a few short months after the US Military made the final decision to develop an "antitank", now Tank Destroyer arm, the second phase began with the opening of the new Tank Destroyer Tactical and Firing Center in Temple, Texas. This is just two months after Perl Harbor and Germany and Italy declared war on the US.

These responsibilities broke down into a number of problems that demanded immediate attention such as: billeting of military personnel, completing the acquisition of the reservation area and moving approximately 200 families, construction of the cantonment, construction of the ranges to meet expanding requirements, preparation for training of tank destroyer units in temporary field camps pending the completion of the construction, and establishment of subordinate headquarters to direct training.

The 893rd TD Battalion arrived at Camp Hood on 31 March 1942 and the 753rd on 1 April 1942. The facilities were only partially ready. The men were housed in field camps largely constructed of salvage material from old abandoned CCC camps in the Eighth Corps Area.

Tank Destroyer Battalions were now a reality

The Tank Destroyer Center Headquarters wasn't officially opened at Camp Hood, Texas until 20 August 1942, the camp itself was officially opened and dedicated on 18 September 1942. The Tank Destroyer sleeve patch, the first identifying insignia for tank destroyer use, designed by General Bruce and staff, was officially presented. This patch is now our website logo seen on nearly every page in the top right corner.

Return to Top of Page