Tank destroyer shoulder patch and logo

The 808th Tank Destroyer Battalion

invites you to enjoy this site while learning about WWII and tank destroyers

An assortment of US flags.
Don't Tread On Me
Colonial Era

US Army Flag - 1775
US Army Flag
Adopted in 1775

Betsy Ross flag
Betsy Ross Flag

13 Star Flag
13 Star -
First Official Flag

Civil Flag of Peacetime
Civil Flag of
Peacetime

34 Star - Civil War Era
34 Star
Civil War Era

Confederate Battle Flag
Confederate Battle Flag

50 Star Current US Flag
50 Star
Current US Flag

Camp Shanks, New York

The 808 Tank Destroyers left Camp Shanks on 11 August, 1944 bound for the ETO (European Theater of Operations).

Camp Shanks, last stop before boarding ship bound for ETO.During WWII Camp Shanks, NY  was the final stop for soldiers as they prepared for departure to the European Theater of Operations (ETO). In the beginning, there were no depots available in Europe to provide needed equipment or replacement to incoming troops. The function of Camp Shanks was to ensure every man (and woman) left fully equipped.

During the second half of 1944, Camp Shanks was sending tens of thousands of troops overseas. Staging peaked in Oct 44, when 78,354 troops arrived while 85,805 troops departed. By the end of Nov 44, all staging areas in the U.S. stopped their final field inspections. Shortages and replacements could be handled from supply depots in England.

The barracks in which the transient soldiers lived measured 20' x 100', and consisted of two rows of bunks and three coal-burning pot-belly stoves which provided the limited heat.

When the soldiers were notified that they were on "Alert" status, they knew they would be shipping out within twelve hours. The soldiers removed their division sleeve patches, and their helmets were chalked with a letter and a number, indicating the proper marching order from the camp to the train and the railroad car to ride in.

Camp Shanks also housed 1200 Italian and 800 German prisoners of war between April 1945 and January 1946, with the first Germans arriving in June 1945. At the close of the war, 290,000 POWs passed through Camp Shanks as they were processed for return to their native countries. The last German to leave was on 22 July 1946.

Camp Shanks closed in July 1946.

Return to Top of Page